The top two: Comics Should Be Good posted the last of the top 100 runs of all time
Three parts of this list.
First the top two.
2. Chris Claremont, John Byrne and Terry Austin’s X-Men – Yes. The awesome era of Xmen. I said earlier that the acme for me is the Paul Smith run. But this has Dark Phoenix, Days of Future Past and other stories that make the comic what it is today.
1. Neil Gaiman’s Sandman – And this is my #1 run as well. I need to match up with the list somewhere.
Ok. Let’s make my own personal top ten.
1. Sandman by Neil Gaiman
2. Lone Wolf and Cub by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima
3. Astro City by Busiek and Anderson
4. Hell boy by Mike Mignola
5. Fantastic Four by Waid and Weiringo
6. Fables by Bill Willingham
7. Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis and Bagley
8. Stormwatch by Ellis and Raney
9. Quantum and Woody by Priest and Bright
10. Bone by Jeff Smith
I’ve got two runs on my list that weren’t on the CBSG. Stormwatch is my personal favourite Ellis. As one of my favorite writers he’d show up again a couple more time in a top 20 list. Q&W – there were very few comedy works on the official top 100. But I giggled my way through issue after issue. This also was the time of my perusal of Usenet and this was big there.
Which brings me to my third part of the post: notable stuff missed. This is just a quick list from my shelves and from my brain and from comment lists on CBSG.
Priest Black panther
Macgregor Black panther
Losers by Diggle and Jock
Gruenwald – the list was weak on Gru stuff. Cap the biggest one missing. Bet that would make Dave’s top ten.
Michelanie – like Gru, he seems under represented.
Grell – especially Green Arrow
Matt Wagner – Grendal, Mage, Sandman Mystery Theatre
Rogers Blue Beetle – some much goodness
More Byrne – alpha flight, namor – and more besides
More PAD – super girl, young justice, aquaman
Older dc – Swan superman? And pre-Marvel DC.
Judge Dredd – or other items from 2000 AD.
More manga – only one manga book on the whole list.
Tintin, Asterix et Obelix – or other European classics
The tick and
Tmnt – the indie boom was more than just Cerberus
Wonder Woman runs –
CrossGen – ruse, way of the rat
The list show a Marvel/DC superhero and a new comic bias. These make sense. And that matches my own collection and top ten list. But they are easily discernable biases nonetheless.
Still I loved this list. Thanks to Brian Cronin and all the readers and voters on CBSG.