I’m stuck at home because my elevator is on service. I guess I will blog instead of going to mass.
The RPG we are playing has this mechanic called aspects. Seven short phrases that describe important characteristics about the character. These are used in the game instead of attributes. For instance if you want a really strong man instead of an strength attribute of 18 they would have the aspect “strong as a horse”.
On Friday, someone suggested that characters could be made using entirely quotes and taglines from a single movie or movie series. Obviously it is pretty easy to create Indiana Jones using quotes from that series. But can you create characters that aren’t just copies of the characters in the movie itself?
The challenge: Choose and movie. Using seven quotes or taglines from that movie create a character that doesn’t appear in the movie. Genre doesn’t matter. Whether the character would actually be a good one to play in a game doesn’t matter.
Here is my first try:
- Name: Chef Hans
- Movie: Casablanca
- Template (optional): Gourmet Chef
- High Concept: The leading banker in Amsterdam is now the pastry chef in our kitchen.
- Trouble: The *winning* side would have paid you *much better*.
- Background: Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out.
- Rising Conflict: I’m only a poor corrupt official.
- The Story: I don’t mind a parasite. I object to a cut-rate one.
- Guest Starring 1: I never make plans that far ahead.
- Guest Starring 2: Oh, he’s just like any other man, only more so.
Hans was a leading banker in Amsterdam. When his bank started to use poor banking practices he turned whistleblower. But it turned out badly. He was implicated himself and forced out when the investigators were themselves bribed.. He moved to Canada and took a cooking certificate at NAIT. He is cynical and sullen. He sees corruption everywhere – from the head chef to the food inspectors to the restaurant owner.