“What they died for.”
But darn it – the question I wanted answered even more was “Why they died?” Nuts – I hope we get an answer to that one.
So I said yesterday that a lot of the success of the series might depend on how the final questions are answered. Here are the big ones I think are outstanding (SPOILERS will follow):
- Why died some candidates die? Apparently Locke can’t directly kill a candidate. So what makes someone stop being a candidate. A little bit is misdirection here since it may or may not be solely at Jacob’s whim. Why could Locke kill Richard?
- Why do some characters have special powers – seeing ghosts, hearing ghosts, surviving electromagnetic, Walt’s precognition, etc. (I’m not sure this will get answered).
- What is the relationship between the flash sideways timeline and the island timeline. (I’m confident that an answer here is forthcoming).
- What special powers does the island guardian have? (Not sure this will be answered or if it is even important, but I’m curious).
- How can Desmond either prevent Locke from leaving and/or destroy the island? (Note the last is a new question just this episode! This will get an answer for sure too.)
- What makes the island have powers? Or based on the previous episode, what makes the light have powers? What happens if the light is interfered with (smoke monsters apparently for one)? What happens if it goes out. The key question now. Last episode might be all the answer we get on it.
I really want to find out 1 and 6, but I’m worried I’ll just have to settle for 3 and 5.
I do think that Season 6 has done a pretty great job about answering Lost mysteries overall.
Things I liked:
- Every Desmond scene. Desmond rocks. I also like that he has a plan. I still think the largest weakness of the season is the flash sideways time line.
- Ana-Lucia and Rousseau cameos. I think that hits all the tailies except Eko. I hope they get him into the final episode!
- I liked that Ben went bad – again. And his revenge was good.
- Miles is still alive. Wow – really. Betcha he buys it within 5 minutes on Sunday.
Things that bugged me:
- Well I thought that I’d get an answer to why folks died. I mean, it is almost in the title. Although I do have to admit they did answer the exact question posed by the title.
- My biggest Lost peeve – random deaths. While not as random as some, it still just ended certain plots. And at least one character was introduced this season and never did a single thing.
- Ben flip-flops again. See I like it and I don’t. I mean we’ve already done the Linus is evil plot and the Linus is manipulated by Locke into killing people plot.
Only the finale left. 10 pm until 12:30 am on Sunday.
For the full Lost experience – 8 – 10 – Lost recaps and 1 am – 2 – Lost on Jimmy Kimmel. 6 and a half hours might even be a bit much for me. I mean, I hope to have a job on Monday.